Monday, January 17, 2011

Listening to God with Mother Teresa ~ A Book Review

Listening to God with Mother Teresa

I have always been inspired by Mother Teresa. She was such an admirable woman. Her work was amazing ~ made even more precious by her sincere humility. Her words are so full of simple wisdom. As a Catholic, I can appreciate how dedicated to God and her ministry she was, but even a person who has no idea about the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy can't help but admire her life. When I was given a copy of Listening to God with Mother Teresa to review, I knew I would love reading it, and sharing it with you.

Listening to God is a small book. It is only 128 pages long. I suppose it could be read in one sitting, but that would never do it justice. The book contains 100 quotes taken from Mother Teresa's speaking and writing. Each one is paired with a passage of scripture. Her words were always an echo of her faith. Even amidst the suffering she saw each day, and her personal struggles to reconcile such things, she always heard God.

I will give you an example of one of the entries titled, "All Things are Possible":
"Persuaded of our nothingness, and with the blessing of obedience, we attempt all things, doubting nothing, for with God, all things are possible." (Mother Teresa)
This is paired with the following passage from the book of Mark:
Jesus looked at them and said, "For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible." Mark 10:27
For me, this is worthy of at least a days worth of contemplation, a week's worth of meditation, and a lifetime of hopeful practice.

How many things in my life have seemed insurmountable? I am quite certain that the problems I face are pebbles compared to the boulders that she saw each day. I think we all have things that seem impossible, and these simple words can help to encourage us, strengthen us, and remind us of the diminutive woman who not only spoke the words, but became a living example of them.

This hardcover book was published by Our Sunday Visitor, and is available for sale through The Catholic Company for $14.95.

The publisher describes the book this way:
Imagine how your daily outlook would be enhanced by your spending time with one of the spiritual giants of modern Church history. 
"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world." 
"When I was crossing into Gaza, I was asked at the check post whether I was carrying any weapons. I replied: Oh yes, my prayer books." 
"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." -- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta 
These selections of her quotes, comments, and writings, matched with short Scripture passages, are sure to center your heart and mind on Christ as only Mother Teresa could do. Her words will encourage and challenge you to listen to God in all the circumstances of your life.
I definitely recommend this book, and I hope that others will enjoy it as much as I do.

signature

**This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Listening to God with Mother Teresa . They are also a great source for serenity prayer and baptism gifts. I was given no compensation for this review, and my opinions are my own.