Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Let's Talk Curriculum Link Up!

There are so many wonderful ways to teach at home, and I'm like a lot of other homeschooling mothers. I am able to talk about it for hours.  In fact, the reason I started blogging was because I wanted to be a part of the TOS crew.   They were going to let me write all about curriculum and share my thoughts with as many people as I could!

It's amazing how quickly strangers can bond over a discussion about  their favorite writing or math program, and it's always fun for me to see what other people are using.  So, this week, Very Blessed Mamma posted up a linky on her blog for other homeschool moms to share their choices.  She's keeping it up for a while, so stop by to add yours, or to get some inspiration for your upcoming school year.
The year, the boys will be in "sixth grade".  We're doing Classical Studies with a focus on Rome and the Roman Empire.  Our main textbook work will come from these sources.
  • Seton's Religion for Young Catholics, (grade 6)
  • Introduction to Classical Studies (honors study)
  • Schuster's Bible History
  • Famous Men of Rome and the accompanying Greenleaf guide/workbook
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths
  • Developing Critical Thinking through Science, Book 2
  • Write Shop
  • Winston Grammar
  • Wordly Wise 3000 (Book 4)
  • Right Start Math (G) with Video Text Pre-Algebra
  • Latin (in various ways)
  • Music and Moments with the Masters (year 2)
  • Complete-A-Sketch Drawing Series
  • Our Amazing Bridges model kit and the book Roman Engineers
  • Better Handwriting for Young Catholics, Grade 6-8
  • Mixed Martial Arts, Swimming, and other various forms of physical exercise.  (At least 30 minutes each day)
I also have documentaries, unit studies, books, stories and other related items that I will piece together and fit in throughout the year.

Even though I carefully, lovingly, and painstakingly put those book choices together.. I realize that real life truly is the best teacher of all.  My boys enjoy learning from books, and that's a wonderful thing - but it is only a tiny part of their day.

Especially because of their Asperger Syndrome, I try to get them out in the world learning life skills, problem solving, give and take, and all the things that will help them navigate life beyond their school years.

Right now though, we're enjoying summer.   We go very light on the books and try to keep it all fun.  We'll officially start back to "school" in September.
signature