Monday, March 26, 2012

Patch Products Joins the Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) Day Celebration on April 12th @PatchProducts

Drop Everything and Read 01
This image is the property of Harper Collins Publishing

When I was a young girl, I loved Beverly Cleary's books.  I read them over and over again!  Her stories captured something special, and all the kids just devoured them.  Ramona and Beezus, Ralph the Mouse, Henry Huggins and Ellen Tebbits were my friends.

Mrs. Cleary continues to win the hearts and minds of children generation after generation.  I know I was thrilled to read the stories with my own boys, and I'm sure other mothers feel the same way.

In the book, Ramona Quimby, Age 8, Ramona's class has D.E.A.R. time. Time to "Drop Everything and Read!" A fantastic idea, right? When my sons were still in public school, their teachers borrowed the idea and my boys thought it was the best part of the whole day. We are all avid readers and don't need to be asked twice to pick up a good book and read!

To honor the beloved author, The National Education Association, Parent Teacher Association, the Association for Library Service to Children, The General Federation of Women’s Clubs, the Newspaper Association of America Foundation, First Book, HarperCollins Children’s Books, Read Kiddo Read, Walden Media and  even Ramona Quimby herself have joined forces to make her birthday National Drop Everything and Read Day.

DEAR day will be celebrated each year on April 12th, as a birthday gift to Beverly Cleary.

If you are looking for a special way to celebrate reading with your younger children, Patch Products has a great new lines of games that correlate with some classic childhood tales. The Tales to Play line is very sweetly designed and a lot of fun, too.

Patch Products

 This is the Little Engine that Could Game:

Little Engine That Could Game 00
The game is designed for 2-4 players, ages 4 and up.  Children will encourage their engines around the track, ("I think I can, I think I can!") up over a bridge, and send it whooshing down the track to score points.

The game comes in a decorative box, with 4 Engine Pawns, 30 Cards, 4 Tickets, 12 Toy Chips, a Hill, the Game Board, and the Game Rules.  The suggested retain price is $23.99.

Little Engine That Could Game 01
The engines move ahead as the players choose cards telling them how many spaces to go.  Sometimes they will be sent ahead, or backwards, or lose a turn, too.

Little Engine That Could Game 02
As the trains move ahead, the players call out, "I think I can, I think I can!".

Even children who can't read can see the visual cues on the cards which will help them make the proper moves.

Little Engine That Could Game 03
When the trains make it to the last part of the track, the player says, "I thought I could!"  Then, he sends the engine down the track, and gets a token with a certain amount of points dependent upon how far his engine travels.

Points are also awarded, by means of a train ticket, for which place a player finishes in.

The Tales to Play line of toys currently has a this Little Engine that Could Game, as well as Where the Wild Things Are,  The Bearenstein Bears Learn to Share, and this Fall, there will be a Clifford, the Big Red Dog game,too.
Little Engine That Could Game 06
Patch Products took good care to correlate the games with the stories that they are designed after.  I have found in the past that many branded games are often rather generic, with the popular character of the day's face on them, but not much to do with the movie, show or story found in the game play.  These games are carefully thought out, age appropriate, and easy to play.

Follow Patch Products on Facebook or on Twitter to keep up with their news and new releases.  You'll find many more fun, educational game choices on the website, www.patchproducts.com.
Drop Everything and Read 02
This image is the property of Harper collins Publishing.

signature






I received a copy of this game in order to write and honest, blogged review of it. I was not paid to write this post and my opinions are genuine.