Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bless Me Father, For I have Sinned - #Catholic Humor

During Holy Week each year many diocese offer extended hours of confession on Monday.  In our area, all the churches are open for penance from 3 - 9 PM.

I arrived at the church a little after 5 and there was somebody already in the confessional.

I spent my quiet time waiting in prayer and meditation, enjoying the peace and stillness.


Empty Church

The door opened, and I went inside for my turn.

Bless me Father.. for I have sinned, it has been a month since my last confession... 


I shared my sins, said my act of contrition, and received my penance.

Priest Collar

This was my first confession with this priest.  Sadly, our parish priest had died unexpectedly, and this new fellow was just settling in.  Before I left, I introduced myself, and welcomed him.  I was unaware a the time that he truly enjoys a good conversation.  We talked for quite a while.

Suddenly, I realized I was still in the confessional, and that I should be going.  Somebody might be waiting!  I said goodbye, and gathered my things.

I walked out into the church and saw....

crowded church

Okay - I'm exaggerating, but there were at least ten people waiting.  I can only imagine what they were thinking as I stepped out after spending all that time with Father!!

signature