Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole - a Book by @angiesmith19

mended cover

Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole

  • Written by Angie Smith
  • Published by B&H Books
  • Released September 1, 2012
  • Paperback Edition
  • 224 pages - English Language
  • Suggested Retail Price $14.99
  • Available to Buy From Amazon or Barnes and Noble
  • Angie Smith is on Facebook, and Twitter
  • She also has a Blog - Bring the Rain
One of the hardest things I have had to learn to do  (and still struggle with) is to let go of my worries, to simply be still, and listen.  I don't know why this is hard for me.  Every time that I have faith and trust in God things finally come into focus and serenity returns.

The thing about God's answers is that they don't come booming out of the clouds.  Instead, I have to seek them.  Sometimes it is a whisper across my brain during quiet meditation.  Other times I will have a light bulb moment, or a "coincidence" will occur.  So many times God says hello.  When I am not vigilant, I miss it.  When my own voice is louder nothing goes well.  I can easily allow myself to revisit every old wound or bad feeling I have experienced in my life - then sit and marinate, wallowing in the pain and misery.  Thankfully, I know how to stop the cycle.

There is no brokeness that God cannot make whole.

Angie Smith has put together an entire book of moments.  Times when God and his infinite love became clear to her.  Each chapter is a loving affirmation that spoke right to the parts of me that have been broken.   Writing as a woman, a wife, and a mother, she uses a gentle and personal voice.  The words are on a page, but the voice is a friend, pulling up a chair, and sharing.

From Shattered Pieces to Mended

After receiving the devastating news that the baby she was carrying would not live long outside of the womb, Angie began to write a blog to process her feelings.  As she poured out her emotions, many women found her words and they were comforted in their own grief.  Others were inspired to let go of small things and seize each day, to pray for her, to love more, and to fret less.

Since 2008, countless people have been touched by her blog postings, books, and speaking engagements.  So many fans wished she would write a book based on her blog posting.  A compilation that they could easily use as a devotional.  This was the origin of Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole.

The book begins with a page of foreword by author Beth Moore.  Then Angie includes a brief introduction explaining the path to the book and how to get the most out of it.

Each of the 31 chapters begins with a passage of Scripture which will be the focus.  She follows with stories about her life, and how she has come to a closer relationship with God because of what she has been through.  She closes with ideas and prompts for the reader's mending.  I love the format, and although I read it alone, I think it would be very easy to use with friends or a group.

The final pages of the book are what she calls the foundational pieces.  They are titled "My Jesus" and "The Canvas".   Also included are some sample pages of one of her other books, I Will Carry You.

mended back cover

I thought this was a wonderful book, and a fantastic opportunity for women who feel broken and spiritually adrift to find their way back to a better place.  If this sounds familiar, I hope you will allow yourself to be mended.  It isn't as difficult as it may seem, and the journey back is worth every step.