Monday, January 6, 2014

The Bed of Nails Acupressure Mat - De-Stress at Home With @MyBedOfNails

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial. Bed of Nails Logo
Bed of Nails Acupressure Mat
  • 100% Cotton Mat Cover With No Synthetic Dye
  • A Simple Chemical Free Foam Mat 
  • Mat is Covered With 210 Plastic Acupressure Plates
  • Each Plate Has 42 Peaks For a Total of 8820 "Nails" Per Mat
  • Non Toxic Plastic Pieces Are Made With Recycled ABS Plastic
  • Discs are Melted Onto the Mat - No Glue is Used
  • Measures 16.5" x 28.5 in. x 1in
  • Suggested Retail Price is $50.00
  • A Matching Pillow is Also Available ($30.00)
  • Choose Pink or Green
  • Purchase Yours Online or at Many Bed, Bath, and Beyond Stores
  • Visit the Bed of Nails Website (us.bedofnails.org)
  • Bed of Nails is Also on Facebook and on Twitter (@MyBedofNails)
I learned a lot about aches and pains when I was diagnosed with lupus and fibromyalgia.  Something always hurts and I am especially prone to problems that stem from inflammation and muscle spasms. I also tend to feel fatigued and I have pain in my joints and muscles - especially my neck and back. Probably the worst of all is the terrible insomnia and migraines.

Because I prefer not to take medications, I am always looking for natural ways to deal with my maladies.  While the Bed of Nails is not a cure, it has helped with some of my symptoms.

This is a Bed of Nails mat and a matching pillow.

Bed of Nails Mat and Pillow Pink Sun
As you can probably see, the surfaces are covered with discs that have spikes.  The spikes have sharp but rounded tips.  I will be honest - initially, yes - it hurt!  But only for a few minutes and it was not excruciating.  I was prepared to expect this after having read the website.  As predicted, after about 2 or three minutes I could feel my body relax which allowed me to stay for about ten minutes.  When I get up I always feel a little better than before I began.  Maybe a tight neck and shoulder would have more movement, or a slight headache did not progress into a migraine.

After a few weeks of use, the initial reaction is no longer "Ouch!".  Now that I am used to it, I can just take a few deep breaths and allow my body to relax sooner.  My skin is never punctured, but there are indentations left behind.

I have not been miraculously healed of my illnesses but I am feeling some small changes in my every day aches, pains, and fatigue which can be debilitating.  I believe that is the intended purpose of the mat.  Not to replace a physician, but to give users a tool that they can use in their own homes to help with relaxation and perhaps give those of us with chronic conditions another tool to help with the day to day problems that arise.

The principle at work is that lying on the mat will stimulate blood flow and the release of oxytocin and endorphins.  Both of these substances are released by our body naturally as a response to the initial painful sensation.  Take a few minutes to watch this video which explains the Bed of Nails mat in detail.



Is't it a great idea?  I usually use mine at night when I start to feel tired.  I lie on it for 10-15 minutes and after  I get up I can often fall right to sleep without tossing and turning trying to find a comfortable position.  I also seem to stay asleep better when I remember to use it. 

When I use the Bed of Nails during the day I will place it on a chair and press my back against it or place it on the floor where I can stand on it.

The mat comes in the pink shade shown above or in this earthy green tone.

BedOfNails.jpg
I really like this product, but keep in mind that it is not meant for young children and should not be left out where a pet could walk on it.  It is also not meant for use with people who have decreased sensation, skin diseases, open wounds, bleeding disorders, or anyone taking blood thinners.  If you are not sure if Bed of Nails is right  for you, consult a doctor to be sure.

My thirteen year old twin sons are both sensory seeking and asked to try the Bed of Nails.  I let them touch it with their hands and explained how it felt to them and now they use it all of the time, too.  This may be something to consider for families with older children on the autism spectrum.

The manufacturer also suggests that users drink a glass of water following the use of the mat in case a session has caused a release of toxins.  This helps flush them out of the body.

Here is to a happy and healthy new year!
signature
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.