Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Epica Stainless Steel And Gridded Nylon Cocktail Muddler From @EpicaHome

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial. EpicaMuddler
The Epica Stainless Steel And Gridded Nylon Cocktail Muddler
  • Made of Sturdy and Sanitary Stainless Steel
  • Nylon Gridded Head Does Not Scratch Glasses
  • Designed With Rows of "Teeth" for Quick and Easy Crushing
  • Pulverizes Fruits With a Few Easy Twists
  • One Turn Muddling for Leaves and Spices
  • Ergonomically Designed Handle Is Well Weighted and Shaped for Hands
  • Suggested Retail Price - $19.95
  • Buy Yours From Amazon - Currently $8.95
  • Find More Great Epica Home Products and Ideas on Their WebPage epicahome.com
  • There is also an Epica Facebook Page and an Epica Home Twitter Account
Are you a fan of fruit and herb infused drinks?  The Mojito has become very popular, but there are many other cocktails that are made best with a muddler.

Muddling is simply a way of releasing the essence of an herb or spice or crushing (usually fruit) for an adult beverage.  Until recently, most muddlers were made of wood.  This works fine if you just need a bit of mint or a hint of basil but today's bolder drinks require a bit more from the muddle to achieve drink perfection.

This muddler from Epica gets the job done easily.  You can see in the photo above that the head is made up of rows of 'teeth" that can grind and pulverize in a few quick twists.  The nylon material is easy to wash so it will not do any damage to glassware and it is sanitary, too.

I decided to try some new drink recipes to see how well this muddle worked.  First I made the Kiwi-Coconut Crush.

Kiwi-CoconutCrush
 Kiwi-Coconut-Crush
  • 1 peeled kiwi cut into chunks
  • 1/2 ounce of lime juice
  • 1/2 ounce of coconut syrup
  • 1/2 ounce of Midori
  • 1/2 ounce of vodka
  • 1/2 ounce of coconut rum
  • 1/2 ounce of coconut milk
First I muddled the kiwi with the lime and coconut syrup.
Then I added in the Midori, vodka, rum, and milk.
I added ice to the glass and shook it up well.

The drink was delicious and the kiwi was muddled enough so that its taste was well diffused and I could enjoy the beverage without having to chew on the kiwi.

A few days later I made Muddled Oreo Russians.

MuddledOreoRussian
 Muddled Oreo Russian
  • 2 Oreo Cookies
  • 1 ounce of Kahlua
  • 1 ounce of vodka
  • 1 and 1/2 ounces of half and half
This was easy to make and it tastes like a dessert.  
First I used the muddler to crush the Oreos in the bottom of the glass.
Next I added the Kahlua and vodka.
I covered this with crushed ice before adding in the half and half.
Once all the ingredients were added I stirred it up and enjoyed!

The last one will be great for summer.  I can easily increase the recipe and make a pitcherful for a party.  Pick drinks are usually made with iced tea and some vodka.  This is an update to an old favorite.

SouthernBellePick
Southern Belle Pick
  • 1/4 cup of peaches peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 ounce of simple syrup 
  • 1 ounce of lemon juice
  • 3 ounces of peach iced tea (or regular iced tea)
  • 1 and 1/4 ounces of Peach vodka
  • Mint for garnish
I began by muddling the peaches with the simple syrup and lemon juice, then added the tea and vodka.  I had to shake these up well before straining the liquid into a glass filled with ice cubes.  A sprig of mint makes a great garnish - then it is ready to serve.  This is a cool and refreshing drink that will be great for summer entertaining.

In addition to being a great bar accessory, this has been helpful in the kitchen, too.  I have used it while making salsa and guacamole already and I am sure I will find a lot more uses for it.  It is currently at a very reasonable price, too.  

The Epica Stainless Steel Cocktail Muddler has a sleek modern appearance and it is well made.  The handle fits into my hand well and it is weighted just right for comfort.  In addition, this style will not splinter, stain, or hold on to the flavors of ingredients gone by.  I get the perfect muddle every time and even tougher jobs like crushing fruit is so easy!

If you haven't used a muddler before you can find a lot of great information on the web about different techniques and how to determine when to press, pulverize, crush, or "Seattle muddle".  Once you get the hang of it, you will be everyone's favorite mixologist.

Have fun, and always drink responsibly!
signature

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.