Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Eight Questions

Jody @ The Homeschool Desk tagged me in this fun meme... thanks Jodi!!!

There are 8 questions for me to answer, and then I will tag 8 people to answer 8 questions I think up. Here are the 8 questions Jodi asked me...

  1. What did you do before you became a stay-at-home or homeschool mom? Do you think you'll go back to that profession when you are done homeschooling?  I was a nurse. I worked as an RN at two fabulous hospitals.  Right out of school I went to a hospital in NJ where I worked in the Pediatric Unit, and later in Labor and Delivery.  I loved nursing.  I became the night shift Charge Nurse fairly quickly.  I really enjoyed training new graduates, and keep in touch with many of my former colleagues.  I also did some administrative type work for the pediatric, labor and delivery, NICU and post partum units as well as teaching computer charting systems to nurses from all units of the hospital.  After 7 years there, I moved to southern California and found a hospital that was very similar to the one I left.  Again, I loved the work, and I loved the people I worked with.  I often felt like I was the luckiest person in the world to be getting paid to do something I enjoyed so much.  I don't know if I could do it anymore.  If my health improved, I would go back to nursing for sure!
  2. If you could live any place in the world, where would you live? I would go back to Southern California.  It was perfect for me.  The moderate weather was much easier on me in regard to my lupus and my fibromyalgia.  I miss the beautiful beaches, and we could drive to the mountains for "winter" if we felt so inclined.   I would go back in a millisecond if it we could do that and still maintain the lifestyle we have right now.
  3. Do you have any pets? Yes, we have two cats.  Mrs Puff is a calico who came to us as a stray.  She walked right into our backyard and into my husband's arms one night during a snow storm.  He brought her in, she curled up on the couch and made herself at home.  She was never skittish for a minute, not even with the boys.  After a few vet visits and some TLC she cleaned up nicely.  She does have a bit of a weight problem, but after being out in the cold, abandoned and starving,  I don't know if I blame her.  Inky is jet back kitten.  She is about six months old now.  We adopted her in July from some friends.  A stray cat came into their barn and had a litter.  She is adorable.  She has a tiny little bunny tail, and she thinks she is a dog.  She plays fetch, and chews on everything.  Mrs Puff wasn't crazy about her at first, but they are working it out, and have been getting along much better now .                                                            
  4. What kind of car do you drive? I drive a mommymobile.  This is very funny to most people who knew me when I was single and childless.  Back then I was fond of convertibles and sports cars.  Now I have a living room on wheels.  Yes, my minivan seats seven, has captains chairs for the kids, a DVD player, and if they want to sprawl out a little, there is a bench seat in the back.  I have to be honest.  Riding in small cars makes me nauseated now.  Shhh.  Don't tell anyone!!  LOL.
  5. What is the last book you read? For pleasure?  Something that didn't have to do with homeschooling,  Asperger Syndrome, or politics?  Something that wasn't meant for tween boys or a review product?  Umm..  Umm. wow.  I don't remember.  It must have been Cast of Characters by Max Lucado, but that was several months ago.  I think that means I should find a good book to read just for my own pleasure!
  6. What was the last movie you saw in the theatre?  The Legend of the Guardians".  I took the boys to see it last week.  I don't see very many grown up movies in the theaters anymore.  When my husband I get a chance to go out alone, we prefer to be in situation where we can speak.  It's fairly rare, and we can always watch movies at home.
  7. Do you have any phobias? Nothing official.  I took some medication once that gave me terrible anxiety and claustrophobia.  When I stopped taking it, it got much better, but I occasionally still get that tight feeling in my chest, so it may never go away completely.
  8. Do you have any bad or annoying habits? I do.  I use unusual vocabulary words or medical terminology when I talk, without considering my audience.  Very Dennis Millereque.  Sometimes people mistake this for talking down to them.   I'm not.  I just have a brain full of big words.
And now I'm tagging 8 friends with the following 8 questions of my own, which I have answered too!   I randomly picked people who have recently commented here on my blog.  Have fun!
  1. Until The Day Dawn
  2. A School of Our Own
  3. Blessed Beyond a Doubt
  4. Joy in the Journey
  5. Our Best Daze
  6. Fun in the Sun
  7. The Happy Homeschool Mom
  8. The McClanahan 7
  1. What is the last thing that made you laugh out loud? My boys.  They are really very funny. They also have a very infectious laugh, so even if they are being mischievous, I sometimes wind up laughing.
  2. Do you have any pet peeves? When I see houses that still have Christmas lights up in the summertime, it drives me batty.
  3.  Which is your favorite domestic duty? I love to bake.  Especially at Christmas.  I wanted to grow up to be June Cleaver;  In the kitchen with an apron, my hair and makeup done perfectly, and something freshly baked cooling on the counter.
  4. Is there anything you'd like to do when the children are all grown? I used to think I wanted to become a midwife.  I don't think about it as much anymore, but I suppose it's still in the back of my mind somewhere.
  5. What can always cheer you? The sound of my children laughing.
  6. Are you a very organized person? I try to be, but the forces are always conspiring against me. =)   It is especially noticeable in my closets and cupboards.  All of my tupperware is lined up neatly, with lids.  The pots are all in size order, clothes are arranged by type and season, etc.  The playroom has a bin for each type of toy, etc.  However, I live with two little boys.  While they are responsible for tidying up each day, there are times when I have to take deep cleansing breaths.  (like earlier today when I saw red dye all over my guest room comforter!)
  7. Do you have a special thought that helps you in our daily life? I don't know how to properly phrase this question, but maybe my answer will help convey my thought.  For me, I have the Serenity Prayer, and the St Francis Peace Prayer.  I try to use both to guide my thoughts, actions, and behavior.  Most days I fall pathetically short, but I think most of us have a Bible Verse, or a saying, or prayer that is our compass.
  8. Are you a morning person, or a night owl? I have always been a night owl.  I loved working night shifts as a nurse, and I struggle with insomnia now.