Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lent, Day 38

40 days
The  Easter Triduum has begun.  Holy Thursday brings so much with it.  The priests of the diocese gather for renewal and to consecrate the chrism.  The catechumens recite the creed by rote, and some become full Catholics, or prove their readiness for induction at the Easter Vigil.  We recall how Jesus washed the feet of his disciples.  We celebrate the Mass of the Last Supper.    After mass, the altars are stripped, the holy water emptied, and the Blessed Sacrament is carried, by way of a procession, to a place of reposition.  It remains on display late into the night, and Catholics often go from church to church for adoration.  it is an extra special day for me because I made my First Holy Communion on a Holy Thursday Evening when I was a young girl.
Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I shall not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom"  (Matthew 26: 26-29)

The Last Supper

Into the night, we consider the sorrow of Gethsemane, and all that followed.  Tomorrow we will go through the Stations of the Cross again.  When we enter the Church, the tabernacle will be empty.  So many reminders..  What He did for me.  What He endured for me.

Maundy Thursday - The New Mandate. "Love One Another as I Have Loved You."


signature