Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lent, Day 37

lent
Both yesterday and today Catholics were directed to think about Judas.  I can't imagine how a man who walked with Jesus, saw his works, and knew him could do the unthinkable.  Thirty pieces of silver.  A pittance.

Betrayal is always painful.  Betrayal by someone I love is almost unbearable.   Yet even knowing this awful pain, there have been times in my life when I have betrayed Jesus.  It was too uncomfortable to own my faith.  I felt unworthy.  When I should have been reaching out, I turned my back instead.

I know that there are still Christian martyrs in this world, and the idea of it turns knots inside of me.  In some places, worship is hidden, and if discovered could be punished severely.  Yet they still gather.  Their faith sustains them.  They refuse to deny, and refuse to betray.   I pray that I shall never betray Him again.

signature