Sunday, August 9, 2020

From Parent “Shepherd” to the Good Shepherd

(Originally Posted on July 24, 2015 on the Homeschool Mosaics Blog)

My boys just had another birthday; and, I will not lie, I miss my little boys.

young men

Don’t get me wrong, I am proud and amazed when I recall the tiny preemies who came into the world fighting for their lives.  Now they are strong, smart, and funny.

I also enjoy our conversations which have progressed from superheroes and construction equipment to deeper topics like history, social justice, faith, and government.  (Okay, anybody who knows us in real life also knows we still talk about superheroes – but shhh.  You get the idea!)

superheroes


The area where I am struggling is watching them grow up and figuring out my role.  This is especially hard, knowing that the world does not love them the way I do.

keeping them safe


I am aware of what lies ahead for them.  There will be great times with fun friends, for sure.  They are already getting a taste of this.  I love listening to their stories when they come home from weekend adventures with their buddies. 

Unfortunately, the world also offers hurt, betrayal, and sadness.  We have already had to deal with some of this, too.

For years I have been able to act as a shepherd.  I could gently steer them away from dangerous situations and they would follow the sound of my voice.  They trusted me to keep them away from rocky cliffs and slippery slopes.  I know I have set boundaries firmly in place and they are strong, but only a fool believes that teenagers are not tempted to jump the guardrails.  Life looks so nice and fun on the other side, and there is that pesky problem of free will.

sheep

So far they haven’t gone too far outside of the lines. It has been fairly easy to bring them back, and I hope that is always the case.  It is not hard to see that, once a person strays too far from the path, it becomes increasingly harder for them to find their way back.

This spring the boys were confirmed in their faith.  I know they are grown up enough to understand the voice of the real Good Shepherd.  Although I will still be speaking the basic rules it will be His voice, the one that dwells within them, to warn of the cliffs and slopes now.  I hope it doesn’t take too many mishaps before they learn to heed Him.


signature