Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Mom's Teachable Moment

June 27, 2013

We still use a traditional academic calender – and in this area the school year runs from September through June.  As I sit to write this we are in our final push to complete the curriculum that was fresh, new, and exciting in September.

The same textbooks we couldn’t wait to start are a bit dog eared and some of the pages are loosening from their spiral bindings.  I see the children counting the remaining pages and doing the mental math as they wonder how many days they have left of each subject.

The freshly sharpened pencils with new erasers that filled the boxes are now short, stubby, eraser-less  and scattered all around the house.

Old Pencils

The boys who sat up straight in the fall have a slumped posture and spend more time fiddling with the sensory items than looking at their books.  I felt like Sisyphus as I took a fourth attempt at explaining today’s math lesson.

TM2

It is a Monday, it is gray, and it is pouring rain.  My joints are aching with lupus, my head is pounding, and my kids cannot focus for more than five minutes.

I’m not sure who was more relieved when the clock showed that it was lunch time.  “Okay boys, you may put the books away.”

For a moment, they didn’t say anything, but I could see them exchange a glance.  They were wondering if I meant to the side or all the way away.

I clearly had a choice.  I could keep at it and we could all become crabby and frustrated, or I could just pack it in.  Packing it in won.

The day is not a complete loss.  As I prepare their lunch, they are watching a documentary film about Irena Sendler which fits nicely with our study of World War II.  I will let them eat on the couch as they watch.

I know that one of the best parts of homeschooling is the ability to do this.  The funny thing is – having the flexibility to work out their sensory issues, bad days, and generalized grumpiness without punishments has almost caused me to forget that they even have sensory issues, bad days, and generalized grumpiness!  They have developed such good coping skills that this is rarely an issue while they are doing schoolwork.

I have always left room for “uh oh, this isn’t going to work!” days into our school year by working through all of the bank holidays and snow days that the district takes off.  It has worked out well for us.  We wind up so far ahead that we can go out and do fun stuff when the weather gets nice.  It hadn’t occurred to me to use one on a Miserable Monday!

Today’s Teachable Moment was mine.  My boys will be turning 13 in a few weeks, and they are growing up way too fast. If I have the chance to take a potentially rotten day and turn it into a wonderful one I am absolutely going to take it.
signature