Monday, March 21, 2011

Lent, Day 11



There is a status update that has been going around on facebook for the past two weeks - one that is meant to make us pause and reflect on how quickly we focus on other people's flaws.  Kids bully, adults gossip, and the priest sits alone in the confessional.  It can be really hard to turn that spotlight on ourselves, but it is so necessary!

Confession is a much neglected sacrament, I'm afraid.  At times I am guilty of letting it slide myself.  Today our Gospel reminds us to be merciful as God is merciful.

Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.  ~ Luke 6:36

I need to be more forgiving toward others, and focus on my own flaws .  Then it's my job to confess my sins to God and allow his mercy to come upon me.  Reconciliation isn't about flogging myself.  It is cleanliness, absolution and forgiveness.

Join Trish at a House Upon the Rock for this daily Lenten meme - 40 Days of Seeking Him.
signature