Monday, April 18, 2011

Lent, Day 35

lent
I tend to think a lot.  To me, the story of the Passion is very personal.  I know it, but I also feel it.  I think about the people involved.

Judas' fear led him to betray, and then the fear of what he had done led him to take his own life.   Peter was so afraid he denied three times.  The other apostles who scattered in fear, looked on from the shadows.   Pilot, who knew his wife's dream, and was afraid to have the blood on his hands.   Jesus himself, in the garden, wavering...  There was plenty of fear to go around.

Along with the gift of Grace, the Resurrection gives us the gift of never having to fear again.  Faith and Hope were given.   These leave no place for fear.

Here is a popular church song that goes with these thoughts.  Be Not Afraid:


You shall cross the barren desert, but you shall not die of thirst.
You shall wander far in safety though you do not know the way.
You shall speak your words in foreign lands and all will understand.
You shall see the face of God and live.

Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest.

If you pass through raging waters in the sea, you shall not drown.
If you walk amid the burning flames, you shall not be harmed.
If you stand before the pow'r of hell and death is at your side, know that
I am with you through it all.

Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest.

Blessed are your poor, for the kingdom shall be theirs.
Blest are you that weep and mourn, for one day you shall laugh.
And if wicked men insult and hate you all because of me, blessed, blessed are you!

Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest.


signature