Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lent, Day 36

lent
I've been thinking today about how much I have taken for granted in my life.  How it's so human of me.  I hate that  I do it, but I never learn.  I can still hear my father's voice telling me that each day is a gift, and to always remember how lucky I am.  He would remind me that no matter what is happening in my life, somebody has it worse.  Even as he was saying the words, I was taking him for granted.  Wouldn't he always be there to offer such wonderful wisdom?  Shouldn't he be dropping by at any moment?

As I mentioned yesterday, when I reflect on Holy Week, I personalize it.   This year, I'm thinking how much the apostles and other followers took Jesus for granted.  He told them over and over again what was going to happen, but they didn't really hear what he was saying.  They were completely unprepared for the end.

I know that Jesus Christ Superstar is very controversial, but when I watch this segment, Could we Start Again, Please? I think the actors and actress capture what I'm trying to say completely.  They are surprised, shocked, frightened and they still think it can be stopped.  Even Judas is seen looking on in horror and disbelief.  As if this was not what he thought would happen.

They were given the message so many times and when the time came they were confused and caught off guard.  They want a do-over.

signature