Thursday, November 3, 2011

2011 Gratitude Challenge - Day 3 #gratitude

gratitude

Welcome to Day Three of the Gratitude Challenge hosted by Brenda who blogs at Garden of Learning.  The daily meme will run all month long though November, and bloggers are invited to join and link up a gratitude related post as frequently as they wish.  No pressure, just a chance to express thanks and remember the things that are truly important.  Maybe you’d like to join us!

I dedicate today's post to my husband.  He has had to make a lot of adjustments since saying "I do".  When we met, I was healthy, athletic, and I worked full time as an RN.  I was especially in my element at work.  I could keep a busy Labor and Delivery Unit or PICU running smoothly no matter what crisis came my way.  I was told I couldn't have children, so we had accepted it for what it was.

married

In a period of a few months time, it all changed.  I became quite ill and was diagnosed with lupus.  I had had symptoms for a few years, but chalked them off to 12 hour night shifts, and a busy lifestyle.  The medication that I was given to treat the lupus also made it possible for me to conceive a child - or in our case.. two!

Bless his heart, the man can roll with the changes.  In the blink of an eye, he had a chronically ill wife, pregnant with twins.  The pregnancy was extremely high risk, and we had preemies who spent time in NICU.  They remained special needs and were eventually diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome.  Oh.. and when they were not quite two, we moved from southern California to New York.  I put away the hospital scrubs and am a full time stay at home mother, and I pretty much always feel sick.  I'm lucky.  Most of these things, on their own, fall into the "high risk for divorce" category - all together, well.. like I said.  I'm lucky.

He still brings me home little surprises, and calls each day, and shows he cares.  He spends special time with our kids, who idolize him.  He rarely complains even though his days are long, and his commute is awful.  We've been through a lot together, and I'm sure there's a lot more ahead.

Oh, and he even reads my blog, and is my biggest fan!

Kristen Capolino Group


Thanks, love.  xo
signature