Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lent, Day 7

Today when I taught the boys their catechism we talked about self denial, and how we grow from it.  When we desire small things and ask for God's help to resist them, it helps us grow stronger for when the big temptations come our way.

We live in such an instant gratification world, it's easy to get caught up in it.   If you want the big ticket item, put it on the credit card.  If there are problems in a relationship, walk away and start over.   If a whole class does poorly, grade on a curve.  The examples are all around.

Lent gives us a chance to practice self denial over the long term.  I'm forced to go to the spiritual toolbox every time I feel that pang of desire, or fall short of a goal.  It's a good thing.  It's fortifying my armor, and I know I need all the help I can get.  Self denial isn't a burden to carry, it's a gift.

Join Trish at a House Upon a Rock for this daily Lenten Meme, Forty Days of Seeking Him.

signature