Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent, Day Two

Today is the second day of Lent.  I reviewed a book last month that has Lenten meditations corresponding with the daily Catholic gospel.  I loved the book when I read through it the first time, and I'm enjoying it even more now that Lent has arrived.

Today, the meditation dealt with the ways we can grow through self denial.   It can be easy to get caught in the trap of justification, or making accommodations when what  *I* want is not quite in line with what God would want for me.  When I feel the tug toward the things I have put aside for the season, I am turning those feelings around and using them for good.

When I was younger, I was involved in a retreat movement for teens that was modeled after Cursillo.  One of the nicest parts of the weekends was hearing about the sacrifices others were offering up for those of us who were on the retreats.   I'm keeping that mindset.  My Lenten sacrifices are being offered up as prayers for people going through difficult times.  Instead of feeling gloomy, it makes me happy!

The most compelling lines of today's meditation:
Jesus lays down his life precisely because sacrifice lies at the heart of any fulfilling relationship.**
and:
This way of self denial persistently enriches our lives, because it strengthens our ability to love the Lord, heed his voice, and hold fast to him.**

Join Trish at A House Upon the Rock for this Lenten meme, 40 Days of Seeking Him.
signature


**These passages are taken from the book The Little Way of Lent, meditations in the spirit of St. Therese of Lisieux.