Friday, May 25, 2012

Make Your Own Fabulous Frappes


Frappe

I have a little problem.  Do you know those delicious Frappe/Frappuccino drinks?  Me too.  And that is the problem.  I like them way too much!  I'm not sure if they put some sort of opiate in the barista mix, but they sure do make me happy, and I could power down at least two a day.

Except that they are jam packed full of empty calories, and they cost anywhere from $3 to $7 a pop.  Since I am not looking to enlarge my butt, or flatten my wallet, I made it my mission to figure out how to make my own.

It wasn't very hard. Here's what I came up with.

Start by making your coffee base.  For me, this is strong coffee, flavored and sweetened just right.  I use Torani Syrups, but gourmet K-Cups and flavored creamers work, too.

Now, if you have time, make the mixture into ice cubes.  If you don't want to wait, the coffee still needs to be cooled, and preferably chilled.

Frappe Ingredients

When you are ready to make your frappe, assemble your ingredients.  Chilled or frozen coffee, ice, milk (switch whole milk for non fat milk and save a ton of calories!) and whatever else it takes to achieve your special flavor.  (sugar, syrups, cinnamon, or other sweeteners)

Now - you will need one more special ingredient that you wouldn't normally think of.  Instant pudding - in powder form, right from the package.  I know!  It sounds funny, but it is what keeps the drink from becoming a chunk of ice with a puddle of coffee on the bottom.  The pudding binds it all together.  Chocolate pudding goes great with mocha, hazelnut, and coconut, while vanilla is nice with caramel and vanilla flavors.

If you like whipped cream and a drizzle, pull those out, too.

Prepare to blend either:
  • a 1/2 cup of the coffee mixture, 1/2 cup of milk and 2 cups of ice, or 
  • a combination of frozen coffee cubes and plain ice cubes.  (about half and half) with a half a cup of milk

Frappe Ingredients Before Blending

Now I add another splash of Torani, and just a little bit of the powdered pudding.  Depending on the consistency desired, this can be anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon.  I use one and a half teaspoons.

Using the pulse setting on my blender, it takes about 30 seconds to get just the right consistency.

Blended Frappe

Now pour it into your cup or glass, and if you like, add whipped cream and a drizzle.

IMG_2411

You may need to experiment with the ingredients until you achieve your perfect flavor and consistency combination.

Doesn't that look great?

I think I'll go make one now!

signature